Register

Sitting on Invisible Textures

I cant post in the rules forum so started this here. JT was on this weekend musing about the idea of removing the not sitting on invis textures rule to open up some gameplay to flying/jumping races. It piqued my interest so I thought I'd start a thread to get some other inputs.

I for one think its a good idea. Will certain players abuse it? sure. Will it overly change the gameplay? I don't think so.

A lot of learning to play on this server has been learning to adapt to changing conditions and opponents. I think this would be just another variable to add to the mix. I fully expect I'll have some frustrating deaths to this, but at the same time opportunities to have fun with it.

I know for one there are several places that you can get up on balconies that don't give the inherent advantage like you'd get on dust or the like but because there's no texture for the floor they're illegal. That to be is the biggest negative side effect of the rule.

And discuss..

augmentkapital +REP   

I agree that it should be allowed. I do think it will be abused much more than you think but i guess it doesn't really fit the definition of abuse if it's not against the rules anymore.

The only thing I think needs to be added as an addendum is that if you can see through textures on one side, and shoot through them, but people on the other side cannot see through them, that should be against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Awful Aim View Post
    The only thing I think needs to be added as an addendum is that if you can see through textures on one side, and shoot through them, but people on the other side cannot see through them, that should be against the rules.
    Yeah I think that's the case that makes things most unfair and agree it shouldn't be allowed. My guess is enforcement gets hard and the rule is the way it is now because of this but I think it could still be managed. Would definitely take some time to get everyone on board.

A couple clarifications here. 2 things. 1 in the rules it states you can't stand on an invisible texture or an area that lets you get an unfair advantage "usually by seeing through an invisible texture", but you are allowed to stand on a texture and see through an invisible texture that goes outside the map or into a part of the map that no one has access to.

"I know for one there are several places that you can get up on balconies that don't give the inherent advantage like you'd get on dust or the like but because there's no texture for the floor they're illegal. That to be is the biggest negative side effect of the rule.

And discuss.."

Most often these balconies aren't top side textured, and you can see right through the ground, but if an enemy was somehow below you or even could see a little of the floor while not being able to see some part of your body, that gives you an advantage.

Now in reality all this is going to do for the server is allow Sky walking. Sky walking is really not where we want to go with this. when Spawn could freeze itself anywhere (meaning it could fly then fortify) for any duration with full accuracy (upon release) I think it took less than 1 week for that to get removed.

Bullet-Tooth +REP    augmentkapital +REP    Curryman +REP   

Hmm thats an interesting take, I've definitely gotten told I cant be up on balconies in italy or cityfever which I'd argue do not give an advantage by way of seeing through textres (defintiely an advantage for being perched up elevated). Gotten to the point I dont really even bother looking for these spots because there's so many missing

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet-Tooth View Post
    Hmm thats an interesting take, I've definitely gotten told I cant be up on balconies in italy or cityfever which I'd argue do not give an advantage by way of seeing through textres (defintiely an advantage for being perched up elevated). Gotten to the point I dont really even bother looking for these spots because there's so many missing
    I agree with this and what Snowy said as well.

I have seen people being told off for going onto the roof of apartments and standing in or behind the potted plants a couple of times.

I approve of this change because there's plenty of random ledges I keep finding I can sit on that basically aren't there. There definitely ought to be some restrictions though.