Register
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism/Sexism

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenfitz View Post
    I've learned from people in real life and online who have a much larger grasp of psychological science than you ever will. Just because you don't like being "harassed" on the server doesn't change the reality of words. Try using mute if you're that effected. Done responding to this nonsense from you on here.
    I doubt that your "people" have any knowledge regarding the topic, I'm not complaining about me being harassed. I could care less. Im talking about racism sexism. BTW. I do have college credit for a psychology course.

Quote Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
    As for additional admins, I think Kethiius would make a good admin.
    Yes to this. He would be a good fit I think.
    We live in a clown world.

Quote Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
    As for additional admins, I think Kethiius would make a good admin.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFalcon View Post
    Yes to this. He would be a good fit I think.
    +1, to this.

Also, murdoc, why would you want to be a mod when you are already an admin?

Quote Originally Posted by Awful Aim View Post
    +1, to this.

Also, murdoc, why would you want to be a mod when you are already an admin?
    I think putting his hat in means he thinks the position is a good idea.

I just saw this thread and figured I would throw in my two cents. While I have never been bothered by the language used on the server, I can see how it can hinder the servers growth moving forwards. Some form of punishment or detriment to those that can only ever express their feelings through screaming racist things over the mic may not be needed, but in my opinion would be a welcomed addition to the server. I do not think that a full on ban on specific words as in how the SG server was run is the way to go though. We play an online game like others have mentioned that is rated M for a reason. If your feelings get hurt by what a stranger says on the internet, I believe that is says more about you than the person spewing potentially hateful things towards you. I learned at a very young age, really through playing online games like counter-strike, to value your self worth and let what a random person on the internet says slide over you. I think that the only time when some form of moderation or punishment should occur is when it really just gets annoying, i.e. viewed as what I would consider mic spam or potentially in cases where it moves over into full blown harassment. In both of those cases, I don't get bothered by it but simply find it annoying and either voice_enable 0 or mute the specific person that is being annoying. Muting those people would simply save me the time of having to manually do it myself.

Of course the other topic of the thread, that of beaconing players that are not attempting the objective after 1:30, is something that I would really love. I have had the bind "Blatant disregard for the objective is, however, disallowed." for years because that is a behavior I also find quite annoying. Having 20 people sit on their hands doing nothing watching while a teemo sits invis for 45 seconds and a group of players on the other team simply camp the bomb waiting for the person to come just wastes those 20 peoples time and in my opinion makes the game less fun. As an addition to the beacon, I think having it coded to where if you have been beaconed multiple times throughout the map you are automatically slayed on the following round should also be implemented. This is the common punishment admins dish out on repeat offenders that break this rule and I believe that it will further curb such behavior while also turning the table and having the person who wasted others time in turn have their own wasted for a round. The time period on when a player gets beaconed has to be worked out though as simply sitting still for 10 seconds after 1:30 does not necessarily mean you are not planning on attempting your objective, but circumstances make it the correct play. I do not know what kind of time frame would really work, but I would suggest maybe 15-20 seconds of the player standing still before the player gets beaconed.

donscreta +REP    Obergruppenfuehrer +REP    Awful Aim +REP    Hurtydwarf +REP   

One thought I had in the server the other day that seemed more realistic was banning the verbal harassment of another player. We don't disallow any specific words, phrases, etc. Just don't allow people to target and grief others.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtrav View Post
    One thought I had in the server the other day that seemed more realistic was banning the verbal harassment of another player. We don't disallow any specific words, phrases, etc. Just don't allow people to target and grief others.
    +1 to that. It seems like the best way to curb the assholes without also throwing out the free speech of everyone else.

I know that it won't make everyone happy but it's certainly a big step above what we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtrav View Post
    I agree with this idea. It puts more emphases on context instead of blanket banning words.

One step beyond verbal harassment would be some ingame stuff that can happen such as:

• calling out a teamate's position
    • destroying teammate barrel boy barrels when they are not blocking your path
    • spamming Subject portals on a fellow Subject teammate to force them to be tele'd away
    • throwing Koffing nades repeatedly on teammates to block view
    • maybe even Medic related stuff like following one player in particular and shooting one round every 2 seconds
    • I would mention Ritualist barrels, but I vaguely recall those being difficult to tell between each team's barrels

there are probably more race specific examples but I don't play enough of them to know

Primal made a thread in regards to griefing here with good and bad reactions.

donscreta +REP    Hurtydwarf +REP   

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman View Post
    I agree with this idea. It puts more emphases on context instead of blanket banning words.

One step beyond verbal harassment would be some ingame stuff that can happen such as:

• calling out a teamate's position
    • destroying teammate barrel boy barrels when they are not blocking your path
    • spamming Subject portals on a fellow Subject teammate to force them to be tele'd away
    • throwing Koffing nades repeatedly on teammates to block view
    • maybe even Medic related stuff like following one player in particular and shooting one round every 2 seconds
    • I would mention Ritualist barrels, but I vaguely recall those being difficult to tell between each team's barrels

there are probably more race specific examples but I don't play enough of them to know

Primal made a thread in regards to griefing here with good and bad reactions.
    The barrel boy thing is subjective to such a high degree. What you may not consider blocking my path I might consider.
    Koffing nades intention sure, but then you might have people who hit the koffing nade and then cry wolf to get a person in trouble.
    Only two aspects of your comment I can say.

Honestly I believe the secondary idea JT will have a lot more negative repercussions and lead to many issues, especially when verbal harassment is a matter of person by person basis. While one person may consider X Y or Z being said/done to them as harassment person number 2 wouldn't, so on and so forth. Sure some players have been unjustly targets for players ire with no cause what so ever, but several others I've seen because they went out of their way to make themselves targets by their behaviors and actions within the server.

Like I said don't care how this goes overall cause behaving in whatever manner is rather easy to do, but someone has to play the devil's advocate on this

^ Lol

Haven't seen much sexism, but the racism sure.

But you guys probably already have a good idea of who the offenders are, why not take em aside and let em know that shit isn't gunna fly.
    Probably easier than enforcing a "naughty word list" 24/7.