Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes its basically the "only" thing I care about. Why is that do you suppose? Because I am a salty old boomer? It kills server population especially new players? It is an indictment of cheap tactics? Could it be a mixture of all of these things? Nope, probably not. Nuance is lost on douches. There mind set goes like this. Well its not illegal, so do it. Correct its not illegal, but is it right? I submit no, you submit yes. A difference of opinion of course. Your entitled to yours just as I'm entitled to mine. I will continue to call it out as I see it. You in turn will continue to be a douche. Its understood by both myself and the douches. And as to the 95% of people, lol, lets make it 100%.
    Race whores are pussys. Douches are race whores. Douches suck. Enjoy your day.

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree. If you play on other communities you see a huge contrast in openness to new players. Yes, our community could benefit from some of the new player incentives posted here, but it is pretty clear that some people drive out new players themselves by being, well, douches. I think a GREAT start to evening out that shit is to just get rid of the whole rank system altogether. Toss it. If people are less concerned with being the best, then we'll likely see less people doing these things. Sometimes I feel like the top of the scoreboard people don't really play to have fun, they play to win and that feeling is palpable. Yes, I get that "its a mood" or whatever, but hell, I've been playing here 11 years now and sometimes I will DC from the server right away because I see someone top fragging on a level 80 wormhole, and then complaining over the mic about how "grim reaper is such a gay race and you're a faggot for blah blah blah" it's so toxic and negative, and I don't think some people like the vibe, especially the new vibe.

The new player experience could definitely improve, but sometimes I think that new players are also driven away by the fact that a lot of the people with the most clout on this server are elitist pricks, and are not willing to extend a happy helping hand to a new player to make them feel welcome, instead just shit on them and say "get good kid".
    Hidden Content

[9:25 PM] sporeling ☼: but i do love vodka cocks

Snugglebutt +REP   

I would agree it’s not the most welcoming community. Obviously I’m part of said community so have a portion of responsibility in it.
    Race whores are pussys. Douches are race whores. Douches suck. Enjoy your day.

To add to this, there are some user experience issues with the server.

Most of the guidance on the server is done through a small chat window where many messages come in at once. This is easily missed.

Some additional proposals:
    - Having leftover skill points on player death auto-opens the spendskills menu
    - A more invasive tutorial

Regarding a new tutorial, I think it would be better presented as a *menu* option for players.

Title: Welcome to CEGamer WC:GO!
    Subtitle: Pick an option to learn more about Warcraft Mod
    1. Races/Selection
    - Each player spawns as a race, which grants them a particular set of skills, such as moving faster, or doing more damage. Type 'changerace' to pick a new race, or type 'raceinfo' to learn more about each one. To see what race someone is playing, type 'playerinfo'.
    2. Gaining Levels
    - Gaining experience grants levels, which you can spend to make your race more powerful. You gain experience from kills, doing objectives, or buying Tomes of Experience from the shopmenu. To see your current XP, type 'showxp'; to see your race's progress, type 'myinfo'.
    3. Shopmenu
    - Type 'shopmenu' to purchase items that augment your race's abilities. Everyone has the same shopmenu, but some items are restricted on certain races. Type 'shopinfo' to learn more about each item.
    4. Donor perks
    - Donors gain many benefits that make leveling easier, as well as some cosmetic items. Type 'donate' to learn more!
    5. Our Community
    - You can visit our community at http://www.cegamer.com. We have an up-to-date wiki describing each race, as well as a forum for community members to hang out. See you there!
    8. Close
    9. Close (Don't show again)

Mango Jim +REP    Snugglebutt +REP   

Also of note, giving players the initial 80 total levels a good initiative. I think that either in addition to, or instead of, we should allow these newer players some faster growth in the races of their choosing, rather than restricting their development to just the beginning 4 races.

I would propose a few elements to this.

1. Return bonuses. It is very common to be given a reward for logging in. Imagine if we had a function, say, 100 + 60x, x <= 15, where x = number of consecutive days played, where players could earn up to 1000xp per day to be deposited into their wcsbank. You could enforce that a player has to participate in 5 rounds to gain the reward. Numbers subject to tuning.
    2. Participation awards at round-end that taper off by a function of the player's total level in conjunction with the level of the player's race. Imagine a new player could be guaranteed a minimum amount of XP just be playing the round, let's say to the tune of 120xp/round. If a player does not get this through kills or objectives, he can still be ensured some progression just by being active in the server. The parameters would mean that a new player on a level 20 Human Alliance might only get a minimum 40 "participation XP", while that same player on a level 5 Blood Mage would get the full 120 xp. A level 500 player on a level 5 blood mage would similarly be reduced to, say, 20 minimum xp, and a level 1,000 player would receive no additional minimum XP.

It's important to get the motd up and running again. Then we can put a quick and succint youtube tutorial into the window.

These workarounds reportedly work after the panorama update.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2166996

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2628852

Snugglebutt +REP   

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow187 View Post
    To add to this, there are some user experience issues with the server.

Most of the guidance on the server is done through a small chat window where many messages come in at once. This is easily missed.

- A more invasive tutorial

Regarding a new tutorial, I think it would be better presented as a *menu* option for players.

Title: Welcome to CEGamer WC:GO!
    Subtitle: Pick an option to learn more about Warcraft Mod
    1. Races/Selection
    - Each player spawns as a race, which grants them a particular set of skills, such as moving faster, or doing more damage. Type 'changerace' to pick a new race, or type 'raceinfo' to learn more about each one. To see what race someone is playing, type 'playerinfo'.
    2. Gaining Levels
    - Gaining experience grants levels, which you can spend to make your race more powerful. You gain experience from kills, doing objectives, or buying Tomes of Experience from the shopmenu. To see your current XP, type 'showxp'; to see your race's progress, type 'myinfo'.
    3. Shopmenu
    - Type 'shopmenu' to purchase items that augment your race's abilities. Everyone has the same shopmenu, but some items are restricted on certain races. Type 'shopinfo' to learn more about each item.
    4. Donor perks
    - Donors gain many benefits that make leveling easier, as well as some cosmetic items. Type 'donate' to learn more!
    5. Our Community
    - You can visit our community at http://www.cegamer.com. We have an up-to-date wiki describing each race, as well as a forum for community members to hang out. See you there!
    8. Close
    9. Close (Don't show again)
    I really like both of your posted ideas for helping out the new players so it doesn't seem like such an uphill battle along with it tapering off as they get acclimated with the server and by the time of reaching total level 500,750, or 1000 those benefits are completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow187 View Post
    I think we may want to have an option for that to pop up and gone.
    Over-maxed races have a lot of skill points that cannot be spent.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Y Would You Mute Your Heart?

A fair face may hide a foul heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
    Well obviously if your race is maxed it won't show up whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
    Over-max races arent the issue this happens with, its races like cerberus or bill where I dont level up shoot speed or the gun skill so I cant get the m249, getting that popup because I havent maxed the skill even though the race is well over max is annoying.