Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I fucking hate Windows (RANT)

I was playing on the server, as I have for the past 2 weeks because of quarantine, and I got off probably around 10PM, nothing out of the ordinary, I just went to sleep.. Then I wake up this morning, open up the screen of my laptop and BOOM.. “Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete.” And knowing how unreliable Windows is, I knew it was going to take forever and my hard drive is FUCKED. Needless to say, it’s been trying to repair disk errors since 08am, and it is now 1800(6pm). I probably won’t be on the server for an indefinite amount of time because I can’t get a new hard drive, unless the NEx (Navy Exchange), sells them there.. Which I doubt. And even then, I don’t have the tools to open up the laptop and toss the old hard drive and put in the new one.

Edit: The PC is less than a year old, and I can’t return it because I bought it at the Navy Exchange up in Illinois, and I am now in Florida.. Was gonna do an RMA before getting all pissy lmao
    Last edited by Echlipse; 09-13-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Well if it really is a hardware problem, it isn't Windows fault..
    The pc less than 1 year old means nothing, I've seen some new hdd DOA.
    But yeah, usually it dies at the worst moments

shimejii +REP   

I had a Hybrid SSD last me barely two years before it started shitting the bed. I've been using the new one for roughly about a week now. I upgraded to an actual SSD. See how long this one lasts me now. Considering the thing is basically a big chip, hopefully it'll do better than the hybrid.

As Asstr0naut pointed out, not Windows' fault your drive took a shit.

Basically any number of things could have happened. Could have been a faulty drive to begin with even.

shimejii +REP   

Should I just buy an external harddrive and install Windows on there? And if I could do so, would I need to buy a Windows key to do so?
    Dante still isn’t Level 100... *sigh*

Considering your harddrive is borked and you wont be able to access your windows key through the tool, chances are you'd need a new one. Otherwise if you can find a place that does harddrive recovery to get your stuff back, but that'd be time and money.

shimejii +REP   

out of curiosity have your tried restarting it? Does it return to "repairing disk"? Can you skip it? Do you have a recovery cd?
    "Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure "

Quote Originally Posted by Anuanu View Post
    out of curiosity have your tried restarting it? Does it return to "repairing disk"? Can you skip it? Do you have a recovery cd?
    I’ve tried restarting it numerous times, I’ve let the battery drain completely so there was no power in the system, and when it reboots... Automatically goes back to repairing disk errors.. Doesn’t let me load up BIOS or anything.

Since it’s a “gaming laptop” there is no CD Drive, so I either have to get a USB and an external hard drive, or I have to get a new internal hard drive.. Either way I still need to buy a Windows Key and get a new hard drive..

Since it was bought at a Navy Exchange (electronics store) I voided the warranty by changing stations..

I’ve let it run for the past day, haven’t tried to restart it since the last time around 09am yesterday, and it’s still attempting repairs.. Hard drive is fucked :’(

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtydwarf View Post
    Considering your harddrive is borked and you wont be able to access your windows key through the tool, chances are you'd need a new one. Otherwise if you can find a place that does harddrive recovery to get your stuff back, but that'd be time and money.
    Sadly since the whole COVID shit, we are not allowed off base, or I would have already gone and gotten the tools and repaired it myself.. But in the foreseeable future, I don’t see me being allowed off base anytime soon.

Catharsis +REP   

Bro you haven't been having a good time of it lately, feel sorry for you mayne. Chin up dude, here's some rep for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Bro you haven't been having a good time of it lately, feel sorry for you mayne. Chin up dude, here's some rep for you.
    Thanks mate, these past 2 weeks have been absolute shit.. With moving to a different duty station, TERRIBLE WiFi, and now this.. It all happens for a reason tho \(^-^)/