Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Exclamation Let's get to the bottom of these crashes shall we?



    We can't build let alone maintain a server population of this doesn't get looked at sometime.


  2. #2
    If what doesn't get looked at? There are a few million potential reasons this could occur... Let me just get my dartboard out... Seriously, provide some intel that I can research...


  3. #3
    tbh, I just avoid voting maps that have a high chance of crashing like cache lol


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtrav View Post
    If what doesn't get looked at? There are a few million potential reasons this could occur... Let me just get my dartboard out... Seriously, provide some intel that I can research...
    No offense JT, but surely you have diagnostic tools and error report logs? I don't, nor do any of us really have access to the back-end of the server. I think some troubleshooting may be required by removing some features/maps to see what increases stability? Every time a crash happens the server loses at least 50% of its population AND then the rest eventually trickle out too.. If we can get the server stable again then the population will naturally grow without much encouragement I think.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    No offense JT, but surely you have diagnostic tools and error report logs? I don't, nor do any of us really have access to the back-end of the server. I think some troubleshooting may be required by removing some features/maps to see what increases stability? Every time a crash happens the server loses at least 50% of its population AND then the rest eventually trickle out too.. If we can get the server stable again then the population will naturally grow without much encouragement I think.
    The thing with troubleshooting though is that i can be difficult even with tools. I deal mostly with RF and circuit boards. Flow charts and tool do help, but only to a certain point. The reason is because lets say there is a circuit board labeled A, B and C. C has an error but thats because B is the actual problem, everything you have and all the tools point to C but in reality its not the problem.

    For JT its software, which can be even more difficult to troubleshoot because although there are still the similar tools the error that is being produced can either point directly to the problem or it could be result of any line of code. In which case there are 1000's if not 100000's lines of code. Take that and mix in that JT is the really the only one shifting through the code, it could and probably will take some time or more reports with details to help pin point the problem.

    Also in JT situation putting a "fix" on the first instance of the problem wont fix the root cause and could in fact cause more issues later once the real problem is fixed.
    "Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure "

    Winged Kitsune +REP   

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    No offense JT, but surely you have diagnostic tools and error report logs? I don't, nor do any of us really have access to the back-end of the server. I think some troubleshooting may be required by removing some features/maps to see what increases stability? Every time a crash happens the server loses at least 50% of its population AND then the rest eventually trickle out too.. If we can get the server stable again then the population will naturally grow without much encouragement I think.
    You know jt doesn't really owe it to any of us to drop everything and sift through thousands upon thousands of pieces of code to find out what's happening, right? Without knowing exactly where to look, you're talking about something that could easily take hundreds of hours to find, and then hundreds more hours to pinpoint the exact cause.

    For some reason I keep imagining the first Jurassic Park movie where they're sifting through all those lines of code to figure out what Nedry fucked up. Dunno if that's an accurate comparison or not.


  7. #7
    The diagnostic tools we have degrade the server performance substantially. To the tune of 70%... We use them only when we absolutely must. And even then, it only gives me a listing, nothing definitive. At any given tick (0.06 seconds) we fire off roughly 100,000 function calls.


  8. #8
    Whatever. Your server is crashing with a micro population. Maybe you didn't know because your Admins are too precious to play or be useful. I'll leave it in your court to fix.. It's certainly not my circus to whip into shape. I would suggest using those hours when the server has 0 population on it (which is often) to run diagnostics with maybe an Admin to help (If you can manage to summon one) and take a look. It's not like the server is rammed full of people who would be put-out if the server was password protected for an hour or two. Maybe since Nick has piped up he has volunteered himself for the task? What do you say Anuanu?


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Whatever. Your server is crashing with a micro population. Maybe you didn't know because your Admins are too precious to play or be useful. I'll leave it in your court to fix.. It's certainly not my circus to whip into shape. I would suggest using those hours when the server has 0 population on it (which is often) to run diagnostics with maybe an Admin to help (If you can manage to summon one) and take a look. It's not like the server is rammed full of people who would be put-out if the server was password protected for an hour or two. Maybe since Nick has piped up he has volunteered himself for the task? What do you say Anuanu?
    I dont mind helping out however i can. The only crashes ive experienced for atleast the last few months was from my own computer and the video driver.

    If you have been seeing it crash why havnt you posted a bug report?
    "Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure "


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuanu View Post
    I dont mind helping out however i can. The only crashes ive experienced for atleast the last few months was from my own computer and the video driver.

    If you have been seeing it crash why havnt you posted a bug report?
    Don't get wise Nick, you're literally on the bug report thread I made for you. And Nick you saying you haven't experienced crashes is probably because you have barely played in the last few months lol. Kind of hard to experience anything if you're so absent.


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •